Friday, March 14, 2008

The Folly of the Protestor

Senator McCain came back to New Hampshire this week. My intent was to go see his town hall in Exeter, but I was running late and the venue was full. Instead I stood in a crowd near a group of protestors for a little while before heading back to work. I have to confess that, assuming they’re peaceful, I’m terribly amused by protestors regardless of what they’re protesting. Last summer after work I was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot when I saw three little pigs (actually they were rather big) drive by in a protest of military spending. After rubbing my eyes to make sure I wasn’t having a stroke, and after I stopped laughing I tried to figure out the point of staging this sort of protest. Protestors fail to recognize that they are the punch line. Dressing up as a pink statue of liberty and sitting in on congressional hearings doesn’t make people think, ‘maybe I should reconsider my position on the war’; it makes people think, ‘I didn’t know they let crazy people into these things.’ I had a similar thought in Exeter. The big chant of the day was, ‘Bush McCain more of the same.’ These are people that despise the Senator, and that’s the best they could come up with, which makes it look like we’re in good shape for November. There’s been a report that a group of protestors will be following Senator McCain where ever he goes. The irony is that if these people had any self control they could simply walk into the event and ask the Senator a question, like many attendees do. Instead they prefer to yell and make a scene, and look foolish as I’m not sure they even know what they are protesting.

First published at Blogs for Victory

No comments: