Monday, November 19, 2007

John McCain Town Hall - Franklin Pierce University

I went to a McCain town hall meeting last night at Franklin Pierce University. This one was a little more formal than the average town hall as it was being filmed. Senator McCain gave an opening speech, and the following is an excerpt from the tail end of that speech.

“These are some of the essential issues this election will decide. I offer one direction for America. Senator Clinton and her Democratic rivals offer another, a course I believe is absolutely wrong for America and wrong for the world. It is your turn, my friends, to decide who is right. It's a huge responsibility. I know you will take it seriously.

I don't expect you to take our promises on faith. I expect you to listen to us, as New Hampshire voters always do, and then examine our records to determine whether we can be trusted to keep our word to you.

I didn't seek public office to go along to get along. I went to Washington to get something done for the people who sent me there. And since then, I know I've made some people angry.

I made defense contractors angry when I blew the whistle on a $30 billion boondoggle and the culprits were sent to jail.

I upset the special interests and Washington lobbyists when I fought for ethics reform and to stop union bosses and corporations from writing million dollar checks to political campaigns.

I made the Pentagon angry when I called for the resignation of Don Rumsfeld; said we needed a different strategy in Iraq; and a bigger military so that ours sons and daughters didn't have to serve four and five tours in combat zones.

I displeased a lot of the media when I said we couldn't afford to fail in Iraq, and stood by the changes in our strategy that are now showing success.

I made some folks mad when I worked to cut harmful greenhouse emissions because I believe climate change is a real and needs to be addressed now.

I made politicians angry when I called for earmark reform and spending cuts; for government to do its job, not your job; to do it better and with less of your money. I said no to bridges to nowhere and 74 million dollars for peanut storage in a defense spending bill.

Yes, I've made a lot of people angry. But I didn't go to Washington to win the Mr. Congeniality award. I went there to serve my country.

I might not like the business as usual crowd in Washington, and they might not like me. But I love America. I love her enough to make some people angry.”

I'm going to put the business as usual crowd out of business -- and make them thank me when I do. I won't only restore your trust. I'll make you proud of your government again. I'm going to keep this country safe, prosperous and powerful. So help me God. And I respectfully ask for your vote to help me do it.

Thank you.”

The hall was packed and it erupted into a standing ovation when he said, “I didn't go to Washington to win the Mr. Congeniality award. I went there to serve my country.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am an Alumna of Franklin Pierce. I am grossed out that McCain was there. Guess I should have gotten my degree elsewhere.

Unknown said...

Actually, it's good that my Alma Mater hosted a Presidential Candidate, but where is Edwards? or another Democrat that will actually make higher education more accessible, peace and diplomacy more possible, social justice and civil rights more actual, corporate welfare and torture a thing of the past?